The BistroMD diet program is an easy-to-follow program designed for (but not limited to) diabetics, where your food is delivered directly to you, including snacks if desired. It targets a condition known as metabolic syndrome, which makes it harder for some people to lose weight. The program was founded by Dr. Caroline J. Cederquist M.D. a board-certified bariatric physician and noted weight-management expert from TV talk shows.
The Good News
- Each meal is planned by a board-certified medical doctor who specializes in weight control
- Meals focus on a healthy ratio of proteins, carbohydrates, and fats, instead of simply limiting portions
- Home delivery of meals makes the program easy to follow. Just heat your meals and enjoy.
- Safe for use by type-II diabetics.
The Bad News
- Plans don’t distinguish between women and men, or other factors such as age or level of physical activity. However, BistroMD provides support for creating plans based on your needs.
- Packaged meals are expensive compared to preparing your own food at home, so there’s a trade-off in cost for convenience.
- Nutritional information and ingredients aren’t available on the website, so people with food allergies or sensitivies may inadvertantly order a meal containing something they can’t or shouldn’t eat.
The key to BistroMD success is the scientific combinations of macronutrients (protein, carbs, and fat) in specific ratios to promote gradual weight loss and a continued healthy lifestyle. Portions aren’t as small as other diet plans, but the programs with snacks are limited to only 1100-1400 calories per day. The expected weight loss when following the 7-day plan is between 2 and 3 pounds each week, but as with all diets, the amount of weight loss depends on other factors such as activity/exercise levels, age, and any medical conditions you may have.
The idea behind BistroMD is to make it easy for users to have access to balanced meals with the right nutrients. Because you’re ordering food for home delivery, the cost of the program’s food (along with shipping costs) may be cost-prohibitive for many people. Current costs as of this writing are:
- 7 Days of Meals Plus Snacks: $179.95 per week
- 7 Days of Meals without Snacks: $159.95 per week
- 5 Days of Meals Plus Snacks: $144.95 per week
- 4 Days of Meals without Snacks: $129.95 per week
Each order is shipped by FedEx Ground in a special cooler to insure freshness, at a cost of $24.95 per delivery.
What is Metabolic Syndrome?
BistroMD was designed to specifically help people who suffer from metabolic syndrome, a combination of disorders that causes sufferers to have an increased chance of heart disease and diabetes. The following risk factors are noted, and can be thought of as symptoms, although since the condition is a “syndrome” and not a “disease”, it’s best to check with your doctor if you have a combination of these factors:
- Being overweight or obese
- Lack of exercise and physical activity
- Cardivascular disease
The first step to correct metabolic syndrome is to change one’s lifestyle through better eating habits, aerobic exercise (with prior doctor’s approval and guidance) and a reduction in stress levels. Drug therapy is often used if lifestyle changes don’t work, but becoming healthier is the better route.
People with metabolic syndrome may not see results on the BistroMD plan as quickly as others will, but results are different for all individuals. If you have metabolic syndrome, you may wish to take extra advantage of the dietitian support provided as part of each BistroMD plan.
Save on BistroMD
At TrimUpSlimDown, we monitor coupons and special offers from diet plans including BistroMD. Current offers: